Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Challenge #3- GVRL

This is a great source. Its easy to use and very helpful, i really like the source citation section. So many people get the citations wrong so its a great tool for kids to learn the propper way to cite a resource.

The one thing i didn't like was that i could not access GVRL from horizon. I very rarely use the public catalog to find items for patrons so its just not as convenient. Also it has so many titles that I find it a little daunting to use since I'm not in it all the time and I'm not that familiar with the titles GVRL offers.

I do tell patrons all the time about the GVRL for when they come in with crazy last minute projects that involve something obscure where they need more then one book source. Its great and I'm glad we have it as a tool to use. As a smaller branch with limited reference materials and non-fiction books its a nice collection to have to supplement what we do have. I also see that many parents are resistant to using it due to the fact it is electronic, even though i explain its a print source that they can use instead of a book they can't find. Oh well- what can you do?

On the whole i like it!

1 comment:

OCL's Coordinator of Information Services - bjc said...

great post. I wish we could click directly from Horizon, too. You can't even copy and paste the address into a new Window. Maybe it will be better in Polaris.